Prescott Valley is located 87 miles northwest of
Phoenix. This community lies between the Bradshaw and
Mingus mountains 5,100 feet above the desert plains.
Pronghorn antelope still travel throughout the town in spite of
its tremendous growth. Since 1990, Prescott Valley, one of
Arizona’s fastest growing communities has gone from a population
of 8,858 to 20,000. Nearby developments outside the
town limits increase the population to 66,000, according to
Prescott Valley officials.
Commercial businesses are popping up in every direction
with a heavy concentration along Highway 69. A planned new
downtown, regional shopping center, and cross-town highway
will offer a variety of new opportunities over the next few years.
Prescott Valley has a state-of-the-art sewage treatment
plant, sewer system, natural gas, and road project that will take
the community well into the 21st century. A third long-range
the plan has been completed for this 27-year-old community and a
new police and court facility has been constructed in the
planned new civic center. The new Town Hall and library is now
The town was founded in 1966, incorporated in 1978, and
residents expect it to become a major city in the near future.
However, town leaders say Prescott Valley will never lose its
small town, friendly approach to people and business.
The area’s largest industrial employer, Better-Bilt, Inc. employs
300 people in Prescott Valley. In addition, ACE Home
Distribution Center has a 663,000-square-foot building with
250 employees; Printpack, a fast-food packaging company with
107 employees, and AAE, a sheet metal manufacturer with 45
employees help provide employment to the community. K-Mart,
Safeway, Albertson’s and a variety of retail and service establishments,
along with restaurants and motels, also stand ready to
meet consumer needs.
Prescott Valley offers many recreational opportunities with 10
public parks, a community recreation center featuring a new
public swimming pool with a 100 ft. slide; Olympic-style soccer
and softball fields and facilities for basketball, tennis, and picnics.
Mountain Valley Park’s amphitheater is host to a full schedule of
concerts and entertainment during the summer months.
Castle Golf Family Fun Park offers a video arcade, miniature golf,
batting cages, a miniature go-cart raceway, and rides. Antelope
Lanes is a family oriented bowling alley with 16 lanes. The area is
proud to boast four fine golf courses nearby.
The beautiful pines of the new Fain Park and Prescott National
Forest offer hiking, biking, backpacking, fishing, and camping
just minutes from your front door. Nearby Fain Lake, Lynx Lake, and Goldwater Lake are stocked with fish, and canoe or rowboat
rental is available. Visit Prescott Valley’s Messick Family
“Castle on The Creek,” and the Fitzmaurice Indian Ruins. Try
your hand at panning for gold, take a day trip to explore beautifully
Arizona, or just enjoy the peace and quiet of a barbecue in
your own backyard.
There are many attractions in and around Prescott Valley that you won’t want to miss during your visit. The Sharlot Hall Museum retells Arizona’s past through artifacts and buildings. This is a great stop to learn about the area. The Smoki Museum has many ancient artifacts of the Native Americans. The museum’s goal is to preserve the cultures of the people from long ago. Bucky’s Casino is a favorite gaming spot. There are many games to choose from and its surroundings are relaxed and comfortable.
The outdoor activities are plentiful near Prescott Valley. The Granite Mountain Wilderness is filled with hiking trails. One of the best trails near town is the Thumb Butte Trail. This trail offers tremendous views of the area. The Granite Dells are unique rock formations. These formations are great for rock climbers and scenic place to admire nature’s beauty.
Memorial Day Weekend Pie Festival May
Prescott Valley Days Parade and Celebration June
Fireworks Display Mountain Valley Park July
Pumpkin Festival Young’s Farm October
Chamber Festival of Lights December
Prescott Valley History
The area in and around Prescott Valley has had a long history. In 1400 ancient Indian villages settled around Glassford Hill. Then in 1582, Spanish explorers arrived in the area. There is evidence that the Spanish tried mining in nearby Badger Springs.
It wasn’t until gold was discovered in the Bradshaw Mountains in 1864 that a fort was established. Fort Whipple was built nearby to protect the settlers from the Indian raids. Glassford Hill then became the perfect location for using signal mirrors. The military would use this form of communication during the war against the Apache Indians.
Then in the early 1900’s, the Fain family homesteaded the area of Prescott Valley. In 1963, the Fain’s agreed to work with a land developer. This agreement created Prescott Valley. Glassford Hill overlooks the width and breadth of Prescott Valley. The town was founded in 1966 and was incorporated in 1978 after reaching a population of 1,520.
Prescott Valley continues to grow and has many unique opportunities to offer its visitors.
Dewey is in Northern Arizona. It is in Yavapai County. The town is located at the junction of State Highway 169 and State Highway 89. The Agua Fria River runs to the east of town.
Dewey is a former pioneer settlement that has become a trading center for farming and cattle ranching. The town sits at an elevation of 4,500 feet. The climate is mild all year round with a winter low Temperature of 25 degrees and summer high Temperature of 90 degrees.
In 1860, King S. Woolsey arrived in Yuma with a horse, rifle, pistol and five dollars. During the next few years, he made a fortune in cattle ranching, mining and flour milling. Woolsey was best known for his prowess as an Indian fighter. He had courage and strength, which made him ruthless in battle.
While he was a member of a party prospecting around Prescott, he found the area that is now Mayer. He decided to build his ranch here. At the time, Apache Indians were attacking this section of land. Woosley fortified his house and corrals. He was successful in fighting off several attacks and in punishing those who had stolen horses or cattle.
Woolsey eventually sold his ranch to the Bowers brothers. The Bowers brothers were northern Arizona cattlemen. In 1871, over a hundred cattle had been stolen from the Bowers ranch. A group was formed to find the cattle. John Townsend, who was a known scout, led the expedition. The group killed 56 Apaches in a gorge and most of the cattle were returned.
In 1872, a post office was established with the name Agua Fria or Agua Fria Valley. The name referred to the nearby Agua Fria River flowing the east of town. The post office was short lived and closed in 1895. It was reopened several years later with a different name. At the time, Admiral George Dewey had just become victorious over the Spanish fleet and patriotism was running high. In honor of the Admiral, the town was named Dewey.
Today Dewey is a trading center for farming and cattle ranching.
Cordes Junction Arizona
Cordes Junction is in Northern Arizona. It is in Yavapai County. The town is located on Interstate 17 at exit 262, north of Phoenix and south of Flagstaff. State Route 69 begins at Interstate 17 and from here the route takes you into Prescott just 34 miles to the northwest. Cordes Junction is a good place to take a break when traveling along Interstate 17. The town sits at an elevation of 2,825 feet. The southwestern climate has a winter low Temperature of 40 degrees and a summer high Temperature of 103 degrees.
The most popular place to visit in Cordes Junction is Arcosanti. Arcosanti or “Urban Laboratory” is a community developed by Paolo Soleri. Soleri is an Italian architect, who has worked on the project for over 30 years. The futuristic self-sufficient community offers a tour that gives visitors an inside look at this amazing structure and way of life. There is a gift shop and other shops available for visitors.
There are a few outdoor activities near town. The 34-mile drive to Prescott from Cordes Junction is one of the quickest ways to get to Prescott from Phoenix. It is also a beautiful drive. The road takes you up to the pines and the cool air. In 2000, the Agua Fria National Monument was established. The Agua Fria National Monument is 71,100 acres of federal land that stretches between the towns of Black Canyon City and Cortez Junction and includes both Perry Mesa and Black Mesa. This piece of land includes at least four major late prehistoric settlements and as many as 450 prehistoric sites. The monument protects these sites along with the wildlife and vegetation in the area.